Thank you to the 30 members and guests who attended our December 4 meeting featuring Nilmini Silva-Send from the Climate Education Partners, a collaboration of professors, scientists, researchers, educators and community leaders.
Below are highlights of Nilmini’s presentation:
- In 2012, Climate Education Partners was one of six nationwide projects to be awarded additional funding from the National Science Foundation to continue investigational and outreach efforts on climate change.
- The objective of the project is to educate the San Diego leaders and their communities about the impacts that changes in our climate could have on San Diego’s quality of life and to enable informed decision making.
- The project is currently in year two of a five year program and has conducted interviews with San Diego’s key influential leaders in 2011 and 2013 as well as opinion polls identifying the general public’s current climate knowledge and attitudes.
- The most significant finding is that 90 percent of key influential interviewees view themselves as concerned about climate change, but these same key influentials think other leaders in the region are not concerned. This view is reflected in the general public as well.
- Climate Education Partners will be conducting a range of educational activities to engage the community and overcome these misconceptions.
- One example of an education resource used in various activities including this one is a profound video the partners have produced about how climate change will affect water supply in San Diego: View it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VYU2hRj8wjY
To view the slides from this presentation, visit: http://sdrv.ms/1ktwudu
This meeting featured a new activity for our members: a letter writing campaign. We collected 19 hand-written letters to send to elected officials. Additionally, many of the attendees took our notes and letterhead and promised to submit a letter at a later time. If you wish to learn more about the letters, our key messages or receive our resources so you can submit your own letter, email email@example.com.